What if I receive a tax bill for a motor vehicle I no longer own or have registered in another state?

-A A +A

The motor vehicle tax bill you receive in July is based upon the registration of that vehicle as of October 1 of the previous year.  With the proper proof, you motor vehicle bill may be deleted if prior to October 1 or pro-rated if between October 1 and August 31 your motor vehicle was sold, destroyed, stolen or registered out of state and NOT REPLACED with another vehicle using the same license plate.


In order to make an adjustment you must provide acceptable proof to the Assessor.  Please see here for the accepted forms of proof or contact the Assessor's Office at 860-974-1674.