Food Assistance

Pomfret residents have three Food Pantry OptionsThe Pomfret Community Market, located in the basement of the Pomfret Community Center, 207 Mashamoquet Road; The TEEG Food Pantry, located at 15 Thatcher Road in North Grosvenordale; the Connecticut Food Bank Mobile Pantry at St. Mary's Church parking lot, 218 Providence St., Putnam, on the 4th Tuesday of each month & the Plainfield Central Assembly of God, 350 Putnam Rd., Wauregan at 11:00 am on the 3rd Wednesday of each month.  Plus an additional option of the Pomfret Power Packs.                                                                     Read the Flyer here for additional information regarding these Food Pantry options, contact info., and hours.

Meals on Wheels is still available for Pomfret residents.  To be eligible, you must be at least 60 years old, or disabled, and be home bound due to medical necessity or social isolation. If you or your spouse are 60 and do not have transportation, you may qualify. Five nutritious meals delivered to your home usually cost $12.50 for the week.  For more information contact the Municipal Agent for the Elderly.

SNAP (Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program - formerly called Food Stamps) is available by contacting the Department of Social Services Willimantic Office, 676 Main Street, Willimantic, CT 06226; (860) 465-3500.  To see if you are eligible for SNAP, call their toll-free number at 1-866-974-SNAP or visit the website and use their online SNAP calculator at  You should bring the following when applying for food stamps:

  • Photo I.D.
  • Social Secuirty numbers for all household members applying
  • Proof of where you live
  • Proof of earned income (requires all paystubs for the previous month)
  • Proof of all other income (such as court ordered child support) or SSI Budget Sheet
  • Proof of expenses:
    • Rent receipt/mortgage coupon
    • Utility Bills
    • Childcare/Dependent Care Costs
    • Child Support Payments

If you are 60 years old or older, or disabled, you also need to bring proof of medical expenses you pay out of your own pocket.

The Town's Municipal Agent for the Elderly is also available to help provide guidance in filling out the SNAP application.  Counseling is confidential and appointments should be made by calling Teresa Horvitch at (860) 923-3458.